1. Strengthen your credit score,
2. Figure out how much house you can afford
3. Save for down payment and closing costs
4. Build a healthy savings account
5. Get preapproved for a mortgage
6. Buy a house you like
- Do NOT purchase ANYTHING until after closing.
- Do NOT co-sign for anyone on anything.
- Do NOT change bank accounts.
- Do NOT make any unusual large deposits into your bank account.
- Do NOT originate any new inquiries on your credit report.
- Do NOT buy new furniture before you buy your new house.
- Do NOT spend money you have saved for your down payment.
- Do NOT use your credit cards or get behind in your payments.
- Do NOT buy a car, truck or van unless you plan to live in it.
- Do NOT change jobs or become self-employed.